- Grasp the oyster or clam firmly with one hand.
- Place it on a towel so the oyster or clam doesn't slip.
- Dig your oyster knife into the divot nearest the hinge. Be careful not to apply to much force as this may cause you to slip and stab your hand.
- Twist the oyster knife to open the shell.
- Once the shell is slightly opened, continue to follow the opening around and twisting the knife.
- Once the shell is completely open, scrape the top inside of the shell to seperate the muscle.
- Seperate the muscle from the bottom as well.
- Be sure not to lose the juice or brine. This gives tremendous flavor when eating.
- You can serve with lemon wedges, cocktail sauce, horseradish, hot sauce and more.