LeGrande Serras, third-generation restaurant owner and serial restaurateur, opened The Reel Seafood Co. in 1984. His family’s humble beginnings instilled in him the importance of giving back, and for four decades LeGrande has worked tirelessly to support the Capital Region’s thriving arts community and the countless human services organizations whose work empowers the disenfranchised.
Employing his special gift for communication — and some shameless prodding – LeGrande has raised $17 million as an auctioneer at more than 1,200 charity auctions in the Albany area.
Since selling The Reel Seafood Co. to his daughter, Aliki, in 2013, LeGrande has expanded his philanthropic efforts. In addition to his many auctioneering gigs, he speaks to the community and professional groups about the critical role that independent businesses play in building a sustainable community.
Some highlights of his career:
- Three-time recipient of the Small Businessman of the Year Award (Albany County, Schenectady County and New York State)
- 2001 Restaurateur of the Year by the New York Restaurant Association
- Trustee of the New York State Restaurant Association, the former St. Clare's Hospital and the Chamber of Commerce in Albany and Schenectady; trustee emeritus of the Restaurant Operators Cooperative; founded and board member of C.A.F.E., New York State's largest workman's compensation company; corporation member of The Culinary Institute of America
- 4/2/16 Doane Stuart, Wolferts Roost Country Club
- 4/14/16 LLS Women of the Year Fashion Show, Sixty State
- 4/16/16 Autism Gala, Sixty State
- 4/17/16 Key Hall Octovo Singers
- 4/21/16 Tails by Twilight
- 4/28/16 Girls Inc, Glen Sanders Mansion
- 4/30/16 American Cancer Gala, Hall of Springs
- 5/7/16 Hospice, Mallozi's
- 5/12/16 Kidney Foundation, Hilton Garden
- 3/3/16 Loudonville Christian School. Raised $9,350.
- 3/5/16 Heart Association. Raised $65,000.
- 5/21/15 Animal Protective Foundation. Raised $50,000.
- 9/24/15 Chefs & Vitners' Harvest Dinner. Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York. Raised $25,000.
- 10/23/15 Pink Ball - Breast Cancer Awareness to Life, Hall of Springs, Saratoga Springs.
- 11/6/15 Champagne Ball - Sleepy Hollow Hospital NYC.
- 11/11/15 Veterans Miracle Center, Albany Marriott.
- 11/14/15 Joan Nicole Prince Hospice Home. Glen Sanders Mansio.
- 11/15/15 Living Resources Culinary Cornucopia. Albany Marriott.
- 11/20/15 Fall Fling - Boys's & Girl's Club of Schenectady. Glen Sanders Mansion.